1.28.2010

A Stately Way to Travel

It's about time that we brought back the train as a means of travel.  If you've been to Europe, you know how lovely it is to be able to take a high-speed train (or a slow one, if you so desire) anywhere, anytime.  There's no real need to drive yourself or to get on a plane to travel between ten or twelve countries.  Though I've never liked to fly, it's become even more unpleasant over the last few years with all of the long security lines, new rules, and people padding around barefoot at security checkpoints (shudder).  Planes are cramped, takeoffs and landings make me feel sick, and I really hate the idea of breathing a bunch of recycled air.

But TRAINS...they're generally more spacious, there's no leaving the ground, and you can actually see the scenery you're passing by.  A girl can get up and walk around and check out the dining car and maybe even the cocktail car.  Train sleeping berths are ridiculously cute and cozy and being rocked to sleep by a train's movement is pretty wonderful.  Yes, I've been dreaming about good trains in America for awhile now.

Now, work is slated to begin on a high-speed rail line between San Francisco and Southern California! 

The question at the forefront of my brain is:  how fast will this train get me from my apartment to Disneyland? ;)  By my calculations, in less than 4 hours.  Splendid.

1 comment:

  1. One of my coworkers got worked up about this today -- it's going through residential parts of palo alto, menlo park and atherton. Basically all the ritzy places.

    Still, you know I'd be all over it! I totally road the rails all the time in college:) Next trip should be by train!

    ReplyDelete