1.27.2010

Next Road Trip



Over the last several years I've developed this strange fascination with abandoned buildings.  Generally, the bigger and more industrial/institutional, the better.  But I like them all, from old, rundown, faded red country barns, to decrepit, concrete 1940s gas stations, to the left-behind insane asylums, hospitals, and factories of the Rust Belt.  I'm not sure why I find these husks of buildings so alluring; I think it might have to do with the fact that they leave you free to imagine what they were like in their prime.  They're also mysterious, sad, and a bit creepy.  Who leaves a hundred-year-old, beautiful, brick Art Deco hospital empty to rot?  Lots of companies, cities, and towns, apparently.

More than once I've thought about how cool it would be to deliberately go looking for these gems in the United States.  I've been lucky enough to marvel at European ruins--the Rotten Tooth in Berlin and the crumbling shell of the Forum in Rome rank as my favorites--but you expect to see that there.  When you're on a train slowly moving through East Germany, you expect to see old shacks and abandoned buildings along the train tracks.  You, or at least I, don't expect to see that level of age or abandonment in America, especially on the West Coast.

If I were to seriously plan this road trip, I think my first stop would be Detroit for obvious reasons (check out this photo slideshow of Detroit's many abandoned beauties!).  From there, I'd make a circuit east, hitting smaller towns with crumbling old schools, hospitals, and factories.  Finding abandoned theme/amusement parks would be a major bonus.

Lucky for me, until this trip becomes a reality, I have the lovely Internet to sate my appetite for defunct architecture.  There doesn't appear to be any shortage of people who devote a lot of their time to photographing derelict buildings.  This is my favorite urban exploration site, but these are good too:

Abandoned factories, mills and mines

I wouldn't advise digging into these sites late at night because a lot of them are freaky.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you liked urban exploring! I'll show you my pics sometime if you are interested...
    Stephen and I have kind of stopped breaking and entering though after a close call with a ranger (and an expensive ticket).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get a chance you should check out Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY. It was a TB hospital that was later closed. We did a tour five or six years ago around halloween -- very spooky!

    http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura--I'd love to see your pics! We should do some exploring soon. There are about 10 buildings on Market that I wish I could get into and poke around. Alas, that's probably too visible of a location.

    Jim--that place looks amazing. I think Kentucky will have to be added to my itinerary.

    ReplyDelete