3.06.2011

T-Shirt Rug: Part One

A couple of months ago I saw this tutorial on making a Flokati-style rug out of t-shirts.  Since rugs really cozy up our apartment full of hardwood floors, I jumped right on it.  The prep phase for this project has been a bit long, but I have no doubt that it'll be worth it.  

To get this DIY started, I had to scour our local Salvation Army for a ton of white t-shirts.  I made a beeline for the men's t-shirt section and selected the biggest, cheapest white shirts I could find.  That day, I went home with 25 t-shirts and began the cutting process.  I cut the tees into one-inch strips, filling a huge bag.  This cutting phase took a long time and spanned many an Entourage episode.  It also took a toll on my right hand.  Even with Cole's good sewing scissors, it was a lot of repetitive movement!

{The dyed strips waiting to be cut into smaller strips.}

Once I had sliced and diced all of my t-shirts, it was time to dye the strips.  I chose Sunshine Orange, a RIT color, and I headed up the hill to a laundromat on Cortland to do the dyeing.  Talk about a stressful hour!  I did not choose wisely in terms of laundromats.  The one I chose was really small and an old Chinese lady was milling about, cleaning the floors and watching everyone and everything like a hawk.  I already felt suspect since I was going to be dyeing my strips in a machine, which can be a big no-no at laundromats.  (In my defense, I always clean up after myself and make sure that no trace of dye remains on/around the machine.)

Anyway, I had to stealthily add my dye to the machine and start the cycle without arousing the suspicion of the old Chinese lady.  Then I sat back with my book, surreptitiously reading but really monitoring her movements.  At one point she lifted the lid on a washer in progress and my heart lurched into my throat, hoping she wouldn't check my washer.  Luckily, she didn't.  When my washer finally shuddered to a halt, I was able to quickly pile all of the strips into a dryer and then run a second cycle through the washer to remove any traces of orange dye.

Only once did the old lady pause in front of my dryer, sizing up all of the orange cotton strips spinning around in it.  She then moved on, sweeping detritus out the front door.

I'm 99% happy with the dyed color; it's just as sunshine-y as I hoped.  Unfortunately, the first thought that came to mind when I saw the dyed strips was Circus Peanuts.  Yep, these strips are the exact color of that dastardly candy.  I'll get over it.

{About halfway through the cutting-down stage.}

Once I had my clean, dyed strips at home, it was time to cut the strips into MORE strips--each one four inches long.  This also took a long time and a lot of cutting.  Again, my hand suffered.  But after a couple of hours, I cut the last one and surveyed the mound that I had created.

{Mound o' strips!}

Now that I'm done with the cutting and dyeing stages, it's time to start hooking the rug.  This is the canvas I'll be using:


It's in the shape of a rectangle right now, but I've been thinking of cutting it into a circle or possibly an oval.  We'll see.  Off to watch (more) Entourage and start putting this thing together...I can already almost feel my toes scrunching into the super-soft t-shirt material of this soon-to-be rug!

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, how is this project going? I'm looking for something crafty to do while I'm in Chile. If I can FIND the materials, this might be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, the rug is slowly progressing (emphasis on the "slow"). It's a bit hard to hook the strips into the canvas and that takes a toll on your hand. I've probably got 1/8 of the rug done at this point after spending 2-3 hours on it while watching TV.

    If you decide to make one, make sure you cut the strips in *exact* 1" wide strips. I got a little lax on some of the strips and they ended up being wider than that. I'm now having to trim them as the wider strips just won't hook into the canvas.

    Make sure you post about your rug if you make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I've seen these on Etsy and they look really beautiful, especially considering it's "just a T-Shirt." I have no idea where I would get the canvas...if I find one here in Santiago, I'll give it a go, and certainly post the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jamie, you can get the canvas at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann's, Hancock Fabrics, etc. Or online. I think it's called Latch Hook Canvas.

      Kelly, I am trying to get ideas on how to make a rag rug. I've seen the braided oval ones that look nice but I think this shag rug you are making is more forgiving if you've never made one before. Did you end up making it round or oval? I'm not sure how I'm going to make mine oval so any advice is helpful.

      Delete