3.07.2011

Goat Cheese, Please

I doubt I'll ever tire of driving south on Highway 1, with the Pacific to my right and rolling hills to my left.  It always amazes me how quickly the metropolis that is San Francisco and her surrounding cities turns to countryside, pastureland, and beaches.  Every day I thank my lucky stars that I get to live in this beautiful state, but anytime I'm on Highway 1 my gratitude increases exponentially.

We found ourselves on the 1 again this weekend, headed to Pescadero for the dedication of a new Bookmobile (nerdiest excuse for a day trip ever!).  Cole wanted to be there for work reasons and she invited (bribed) me to come along, with promises of goat cheese from Harley Farms, idyllic landscapes to photograph, and a meal at the historic Duarte's Tavern (in operation since the late 1800s and still going strong).

Harley Farms was one of our first stops.  It was our second trip to the farm, and not only did we get to see big goats and baby goats, a wedding was about to get started in the garden!  This would be a perfect place to get hitched--green rolling hills, gardens, an old farmhouse.


 {The garden set up for the wedding.}

{The edible flowers that are used with some of the goat cheese.}

 {Kids!}


 {Some of the cheese they sell.  The flowers on the buttons above are from the edible flowers garden.}


During this visit, we picked up some goat milk ricotta, which is delicious.  Cole turned out tasty tuna melts with the ricotta this weekend--white albacore tuna mixed with balsamic vinegar and capers on homemade bread, topped with goat milk ricotta.  I think Cole has officially turned into a foodie.

In a few months I'm planning to lobby to return to Harley Farms.  Still need to try their (goat milk) fudge!

I still need to try their fudge...guess we'll need to go back!


2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, goat cheese, yummy! That farm is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not a foodie! i'm just hungry!

    ReplyDelete