6.09.2010

Quake Shacks

This morning while perusing my new favorite San Francisco history website, FoundSF, I stumbled upon these photos of Bernal Heights houses that apparently started out as earthquake shacks following the 1906 earthquake and fire.  I think it's really cool that some of the shacks were turned into permanent housing and are not only still standing, but taken care of too.

Check out these awesome photographs of the earthquake shacks, past and present:
{all photographs from FoundSF}

Earthquake shack on Crescent Avenue (this is our street!)


Quake shack being taken from Precita Park by horses

Quake shacks on Shotwell opposite Aztec

Two quake shacks joined together by a hall area.  Read more about it here.


Quake shack at 164 Bocana

From now on when I'm walking around the neighborhood, I'm going to be on the lookout for the smaller, one-story houses that might be quake shacks.  I think there could be quite a few given that Bernal Heights was a largely undeveloped refuge area in the months and years following the 1906 quake and fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment