6.21.2010

3 Girls, 3 Ice Cream Shops, Roughly 5 Miles: Part One

So we only made it to 3 of the 5 ice cream shops on our route, which came in at 5 miles instead of 7.1.  General consensus: the afternoon was a success, in that no one really got sick or had to break down and take the bus home.  I've got too many pictures to squeeze everything into one post, so today I'll cover our journey to Mitchell's, followed by later posts on Bi-Rite and Humphry Slocombe...along with things we saw along the way.

{My hand drawn map of the route}

As planned, we started out in Bernal Heights with our first hill climb of the day up to Holly Park to admire views of the city and to drink some water.  The weather was decent but not wonderful:  sunny, highs in the low 60s, with a wind that alternated between a gentle, welcome breeze and a very unwelcome gale.  After being pummeled by wind at the top of the hill, we headed down to Cortland Avenue, over to Mission and then to our first stop, Mitchell's Ice Cream, in Noe Valley.  I had heard that one of Mitchell's best flavors is Mexican Chocolate, and I was eager to try it.

{Karie and Sam fresh at the start of the tour}


{Sam and me at the park}
{Getting to and at Mitchell's Ice Cream}

Once inside this venerated shop, we took a number and started scoping out the flavors.  We actually used Sam's phone to record live dispatches of our tour, but as she and her phone are both up in Napa right now at an organic farm, I'll have to reconstruct our adventure from memory.  My aged mind cannot remember what flavor(s) I tried, but I ended up going with a kid-sized scoop of the Mexican Chocolate in a sugar cone.  Mmmmmm.  I loved it!  In fact, it would become my second favorite flavor of the day.



{Enjoying my Mexican Chocolate cone}


Karie made a bold choice and tried the Avocado, which she really liked--including its soft green color.  Sam got the Butterscotch Marble and also enjoyed her pick.

{Going, going, gone...}

Other things going for Mitchell's:  two nice benches right outside where a girl can sit to enjoy her cone; earnest employees; and placement on a relatively quiet street.

I will be going back for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I love that map. It's completely anal and totally something I would have done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I'll keep it, if only for posterity. I can see us picking it up years from now and laughing.

    ReplyDelete