6.16.2010

Martha's Vineyard

Oh man, we had a great time in Martha's Vineyard.  It was really cool for me to see a part of the country I'd never seen before.  Everything was so New England-y and beachy.  Lots of weathered wood shingles everywhere and amazing gardens.  


It was great to see Ellie and Emily and to just hang out around the house too.  Ellie's dad's house is very charming and basically makes you want to just curl up with a book on the porch.  It was also great to meet more of Ellie and Emily's friends--mostly people I've been hearing about for awhile now.  Same with Ellie's mom, Sue--she was so sweet to open her homes to us.  She also made a lovely meal in honor of Ellie's birthday.  Mmmmm.


We explored the island and saw the idyllic towns and their beaches.  Cole and I rented bikes one afternoon and took a great ride along the beach.  We had AMAZING seafood--grilled swordfish, fried scallops, and lobster rolls.  We had dinner at this wonderful restaurant called State Road, where I deviated from my vegetarianism in order to sample a cheeseburger with homemade pickles.  I had a scoop of ridiculously good homemade peppermint stick ice cream.  And almost every night was topped off with a visit to Back Door Donuts in Oak Bluffs for some delicious apple fritters, Boston cremes, and butternut crunch donuts.  People literally queue up in a parking lot next to a dumpster in order to get their hands on these little fried pieces of heaven.  



One of my favorite things was seeing the gingerbread cottages at the Methodist Campgrounds in Oak Bluffs.  They're all painted in bright colors and have the most intricate wood trim and shingles that I've ever seen.  Add to that shady lanes and lush gardens and it's pretty much the cutest thing ever.


There's no denying that one of my favorite parts of this trip was the EPIC spoons tournament we had one evening.  What started out as a regular game of spoons turned into a complicated and competitive match involving a plastic pirate and searching for a hidden spoon in a dark room.  It was really, really fun.  


Emily let me play with her digital SLR a few times and that was also really fun.  I really like taking pictures and it's cool to be able to do it with a nice camera that allows you to have some control.  I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for one thing and one thing only for Christmas this year.

More pictures from the trip here!

No comments:

Post a Comment