6.28.2010

Closing the Loop

This weekend we kind of unintentionally checked the two remaining ice cream shops from the tour off of our list.  On Friday night, we walked through thick fog up the hill to Maggie Mudd for a scoop.  Cole and her friend Anne tried Moose Tracks (a chocolate/caramel/crunch concoction), Sam got Green Tea and I opted for Birthday Cake.


We were all impressed.  Sam's Green Tea ice cream had a nice, strong flavor to it.  My Birthday Cake made me think a lot of a Baskin Robbin's ice cream cake--which might be my favorite dessert in the whole world.  That frozen cake, that mint chocolate chip ice cream, that frozen icing...mmmm.

Even though it wasn't typical ice cream weather, we were glad to have braved the fog to visit Maggie Mudd.  This joint gets extra points for the larger than life ice cream cone statue on display in the front window.


Yesterday, we spontaneously decided to drive up to Stinson Beach.  It also happened to be perfect ice cream weather (sunny, not a cloud in the sky, a slight breeze, about 70 degrees) and we just happened to be driving right by Three Twins, so we stopped.  I was a bit disappointed that Lemon Cookie was not among the day's offerings.  All of the flavors had either been whipped up or renamed in honor of Pride weekend:  Pink Triangle, Hot Cookie (a bakery in the Castro), etc.  We tried the Hot Cookie, which was vanilla ice cream with large chunks of different kinds of cookie in it and it was fabulous.  Even better, in my estimation, was the Pink Triangle, a very dark chocolate ice cream with a hint of orange in it, complete with little triangle pieces of dark chocolate.  This flavor gives Swensen's Swiss Orange Chip a run for its money.

After visiting all five shops, I can confidently say that Humphry Slocombe's Blue Bottle Vietnamese Coffee still tops my list.  Coming in at a close second is the Pink Triangle from Three Twins, followed by Mitchell's Mexican Chocolate.  I sense a theme here...do you?

1 comment:

  1. For the record, my tastes diverge significantly from the author's. My favorite was, beyond any shadow of doubt, the green tea ice cream at Maggie Mud. My second favorite was either the birthday cake at Maggie Mud, or the Pink Triangle at Three Twins- either way a travesty since I ordered neither one!

    Let it also be stated that I hate the way my arm looks in the above picture, but authorize its use for illustrative purposes of the effects of excessive ice cream consumption. My left arm, a cautionary tale.

    ReplyDelete