6.08.2010

Old Is New

This weekend I walked past a hip little shoe store on Valencia Street in the Mission and saw several pairs of Dr. Scholl's in the window.
No shoe makes me think of my mom like these sandals.  I can remember the chunky clockety-clock sound that the wood soles made on the floor.  I remember her pairing them with '80s terrycloth jumpers.  And I remember how excited I was when I finally got my own pair, probably a little girl's size 5 or 6, with a red leather strap.

So that was one trip down Memory Lane.  Then another one hit me when I saw these sandals inside the store:



These are Saltwater Sandals, another type of shoe I had as a kid.  I hadn't seen or thought about them since I was probably 8 and I had no idea they made them for adults.

I kind of still like them.  But I foresee them becoming a staple of every Mission hipster's wardrobe in the near future, so it might be best to leave them in my past.  Plus, I don't own any onesies with which to pair them, and I'd like to keep it that way :)

**********************************************************************************
Today is the 19th anniversary of my mom's death.  It does and doesn't seem that long ago all at the same time.  I miss her and her Dr. Scholl's.  But I also know and feel that she's looking down at us from above and taking care of us.

1 comment:

  1. There really is something about those Dr. Scholls that just screams Mom.

    ReplyDelete