4.01.2011

Alemany Does It Again

A couple of weeks ago, when the weather finally decided to shape up and stop raining for the first day in many, we wandered down to the Alemany Flea Market.  Always entertaining, that place is.

I was specifically on the lookout for a cheap, metal fifties or sixties chandelier that I could spray paint for the dining room (we switched our living room and dining room this weekend and need a fixture for the new dining room).  I want the chandelier to be flowery and gaudy; something that will look cleaner and more modern when spray painted all one color.

While I didn't find the chandelier of my dreams, I did happen upon a kitchenware set with the cutest flower motif ever.  I haggled the vendor down by $5, which means that we got a 28-piece set for $25.  A nice man packed up the set, informing Cole and me that we were "good people"--an assessment that appeared to hinge on the fact that neither of us are native-born Californians, whom this man deems lazy.  Hmm.



This is techically a "coffee and cheesecake" set and came with coffee mugs and saucers, espresso cups and saucers, small plates, and shallow bowls.  We plan to use them for daily servingware in place of the vintage Franciscan Desert Rose dishes that I inherited from my grandparents.  While I love the Franciscan, I've been looking at that pattern for a large portion of my life.  These new dishes are a nice, modern change.


No comments:

Post a Comment