4.26.2010

Alemany Flea Market

We're in search of a craft desk for Cole, so the past two Sundays we've walked down to the Alemany Flea Market, which is held just a few blocks away from our apartment where they have the farmers market on Saturdays.  This time we went much earlier, and the market was bustling.  I'm pretty confident that it's the type of place where you could find a few Antiques Roadshow-worthy treasures if you were willing to sort through the piles of junk.  I saw a couple of midcentury modern pots and lamps that I would have liked to buy--good thing we only had $8 in cash between us!  It helped us to stick to our plan to not just blindly accumulate stuff now that we have a larger apartment.

Cole aptly renamed the market "hipsters and hoarders" because that's the majority of people you see there.  You've got hipsters decked out in their finest ironic outfits mingling with people who can only be described as eccentric and/or possibly homeless.  Add to that the plethora of stuff piled on every available table and surface, and it's a lot to take in.

Some of the market's items and sights.

My new haircut!  And a hipster wearing a onesie.

Ice cream shop chairs!  And an awesome chandelier.  It's got great colors right now, but I think it'd be cool to spray paint it all one color and go from there.

A crazy truck that we had to photograph.  The writing off to the left reads, "I wanna be your junk man."

Unfortunately, we did not find a desk for Cole, but I scored two nice succulents.  We followed up the market with lunch on our roof and then a walk to the Glen Park Festival since the weather was so nice.  Last night I noticed with shock that my arms actually got sunburned.  A rare thing in San Francisco!

3 comments:

  1. I feel like "I wanna be your junk man" could be the opening line to an awesome blues song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that or the title of a bad personals ad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have heard that song...LOVE THE NEW DO

    ReplyDelete