3.16.2010

Winslet Plays Pierce


Mildred Pierce had gorgeous legs, a way with a skillet, and a bone-deep core of toughness. She used those attributes to survive a divorce and poverty and to claw her way out of the lower middle class. But Mildred also had two weaknesses: a yen for shiftless men, and an unreasoning devotion to a monstrous daughter.  Out of these elements, Cain creates a novel of acute social observation and devastating emotional violence, with a heroine whose ambitions and sufferings are never less than recognizable.  [From the book's dust jacket.]

About a year and a half ago I became obsessed with hardboiled detective novels from the likes of James M. Cain, Raymond Chandler, and Dashiell Hammet.  I read as many of these books as I could find, watched the movie versions, and did a speech on the genre.  My favorite book was and still is Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain.  So imagine my excitement when I find out that HBO is making a five-hour miniseries of it!

Kate Winslet will play Mildred and I can already imagine how good that's going to be.  I mean, the 1945 version earned Joan Crawford an Oscar.  Big shoes for Winslet to fill, but if anyone can do it, she can.

No comments:

Post a Comment