10.28.2011

Halloween Droids

For the Google Halloween costume contest, two of my coworkers and I decided to be Androids -- but not just any Droids, Halloween-themed Droids.  It fell to me to design and build our Droid heads -- a witch (Melody), a skeleton (me), and a vampire (Freeman).  


Here's the process in photos, from the beginning -- using Rigid Wrap (plaster wrap) around a beach ball to create each head-- to the finished product.


Supplies stand at the ready: beach ball, plaster wrap, water, scissors.



Working with the plaster is extremely pleasing and fun.


All three heads are formed and drying.


An eye slit has been cut in my Droid head.  Cole (who helped me quite a bit on the project) and I went back and forth about how best to cut eye holes, and this seemed like the best option.


Here's the witch Droid looking more like a nonplussed frog.


Vampire Droid gets its fangs (dripping blood, of course).


Freeman cut dowls to size so that I could screw them into the plaster wrap.  It was a fantastic way to attach the antennas.


The finished product!


I'll be back with photos of our entire costumes following the contest (which we'll win, of course) today.

3 comments:

  1. it would be a TRAVESTY if you did not win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! I'm envious, I want to be a Droid witch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! You definitely inherited double genes of creativity. I'd have thought they were papier mache. Never knew there was such a thing as plaster wrap. Ingenious.

    ReplyDelete