11.08.2010

"We've been aware there's some very serious vampire activity in this town for some time."

--Edgar Frog, from The Lost Boys

The Santa Cruz Boardwalk
{image via}

We're going down to Santa Cruz for the night on Friday, so of course I had to pull out my favorite quote from The Lost Boys, which was filmed there (although it's called "Santa Carla" in the movie).  We're staying at a hotel that I've been lusting after for quite awhile now, the Dream Inn.  It's the only Santa Cruz hotel that's actually right on the beach, and it looks to have an awesome modern design aesthetic. 

I found a treasure trove of  historic photos of the hotel and had to share a few. 

{The beach before the Dream Inn in 1960; image via}

{Newly finished Dream Inn}

{Miss California contestants frolicking in front of the hotel in 1963; image via}

I'll be back with photos of the hotel in present day next week.  What I'm hoping to see is most of the 1960s design elements preserved, with the right kind of midcentury modern updates to furniture, lighting, and decor.

Before we check in on Friday, we're heading down to Monterey Bay Aquarium for the day!  This is another thing we've been wanting to do since we moved here (we're slowly checking things off our mental lists, one by one...).  Not only am I super excited for the Aquarium itself, Monterey Bay is a known gathering spot for all kinds of sharks at this time of year. 

So yeah...I won't be getting into the ocean :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that pic of the Miss Ca. ladies!
    I think shark season just ended? We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I still haven't seen the lost boys...

    ReplyDelete