7.02.2011

Restoring a Found Dresser

Witness the transformation of this dirty, battered, disgustingly-purple dresser that we found on the street in Potrero Hill after eating at Piccino one Sunday afternoon.  Although desperately in need of some DIY TLC, the dresser is made of solid wood, had all of its parts, and was just the size we wanted for the baby's room.  Score!  When we found it wouldn't fit in the Volvo, Cole had the genius idea to call an SUV cab to get it home.  Soon we were home with our free dresser.



After giving it a thorough cleaning, Cole stripped all of the paint off the dresser, which was a big job, and then sanded it down.  Kudos to her for going the extra mile.  I probably would've just gone straight to the painting, since I'm impatient and love instant gratification.



We chose a zero-VOC Benjamin Moore paint called Citrus Squeeze for the dresser surfaces.  I was extremely excited about adding new knobs to the drawers.  For years I've drooled over Anthropologie's knobs and hardware but never had a piece of furniture to use them on.  Well, now I do!


Not bad for a free dresser found on the street.  I'm really happy with the color, and though we did drop some $ on the zero-VOC paint, we have a ton of it left (plenty to paint any other furniture we might find on the street for the room).  The knobs set me back about $80, but they're ceramic and excellent quality.  Up close, the center metal piece is kind of a starburst/zinnia pattern.


I added stripes on the top for some whimsy (Cole's idea).  Eventually we'll put a diaper changing pad there and use the top for other supplies.  I can't wait to see how the dresser looks against the soft grey of the walls.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive work! Your mom and I both used the same antique chest of drawers for our changing table which remains in use to date by our middle son. I wish you well with the rocking chair transit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dresser was WORK! You do not mention that the cleaning, stripping and sanding took, what, maybe 3 days? I'm really happy with how it turned out though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, you got into some serious work with this project! I hope the instigator at least bought you a good dinner? It looks GREAT; I'm impressed. Also with the hat... keep-up the good work.

    ReplyDelete