1.27.2011

Olive Oil Cake: Eh.

For her 30th (!) birthday, Cole requested an olive oil cake.  I've been wanting to try my hand at one of these for quite awhile.  It's a far cry from the incredibly rich, decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter cake that I made for Cole's birthday last year (which was the subject of my very first blog post, incidentally).

After hitting Sam up for a good recipe and finding that she didn't have one, I trolled the Internet until finally settling on this recipe.

Here's how it turned out.


Looks good, right?  Nothing fancy, but certainly edible.  Well...I wasn't impressed at all.  The cake came out a lot drier and more crumbly than I expected.  The flavors were good:  subtle olive oil, interspersed with citrus and almond.  But I wasn't compelled to devour my slice, even with the citrus compote I made to go along with it.


A week later, 1/3 of the cake is still chillin' on its cake stand.  That right there should tell you something.


You win some, you lose some, right?

{Note the sweet cake stand in these photos--the crown jewel of my burgeoning vintage cake stand collection and a gift from my dad!}

3 comments:

  1. Omg, I was just looking at the recipe for this cake that was in the az republic like two years ago, and thought I really should try that! I believe it's the same one they serve at Radio Milano, and you were the one who gave it to me! ;)
    -Karie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I remember that olive oil cake from Radio Milano! It was soooo good. WAY better than the one I made, sadly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good photography, Kelly! It looks like the cake is warming itself in front of a fireplace.

    ReplyDelete