7.08.2010

Saint...Kevin?

Cortland Avenue, the main street running through our neighborhood, is home to a Catholic church called St. Kevin's.  I've been walking past it for a few months now wondering whether there really was a St. Kevin.  It just sounds...odd.  As strange as "St. Todd" or "St. Owen" --  both of which make me think of a surfer dude saint.  {For all I know, they could be lesser-known saints too.}


{St. Kevin's, built in 1924}

Anyway, I was poking around on a San Francisco history site (one of my favorite pastimes) and I discovered that St. Kevin is a legitimate saint.  It's not really a surprise, since I doubt the Catholic church would allow just ANY name to be slapped onto a church.  According to an official St. Kevin of Ireland web page, "Kevin appears to have been more comfortable among fauna and flora than with humans, yet he developed such a devoted following that he was eventually compelled to found [a] monastery at Glendalough in order to accommodate them." 

Now when the "Obscure Catholic Saints" category surfaces on Jeopardy, you'll be able to sweep your TV competitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment